HERITAGE WALK No. 2
1. Greystones Library
Greystones Library is a Carnegie funded library. The land for the library was donated by Mrs Le Blond, nee Hawkins Whitshed, a local landlord of Killincarrig House and noted photographer and alpine mountaineer. It was built in 1910 and opened in 1912 by Lord Justice Cherry. The architects were Doolin, Butler & Donnelly of Dawson Street, Dublin.
2. Railway Station Greystones
Originally named the Greystones and Delgany Station. It was opened in the Autumn of 1856 at a cost of £3000. It was built between the boundaries of the La Touche and Hawkins Whitshed Estates, the two main land owners in the surrounding area of Greystones. The architect was George Wilkinson, who also designed the Dalkey, Harcourt Street Wicklow Railway Stations. The contractor was Crowe and Sons. Eamon de Valera was arrested at Greystones Station as he stepped off his train onto the station platform.
3. Karnack, Killincarrick Road
A two storey terraced house built by Patrick Kinlen, the contractor of Roundwood Reservoir, c1895. Later the home of Dr Patrick McCartan, a Irish Republican and politician. In 1916 he was MP for Tullamore, County Offaly and ;later a member of the Dail for King County and Queen County. In 1932 he published the book With de Valera in America. His son in law lived at Berenenagh which is no 12 Killincarrick Road. This was the legendary singer Ronnie Drew of the Dubliners, who was married to Dr McCarten’s daughter Deirdre.
4. Mount Offaly, Killincarrick Road
This was a semi detached two storey house, built c 1900. This was the home of Langley Archer West, the manager of noted jewellers and silversmiths West’s and Son of Dublin, who date back to 1720. Some of West and sons jewellery is in the British Royal Collection. They also displayed their work in the Great Exhibition of London in 1851.
5. Ardeen, St Vincent’s Road
One of the first major houses to be built in the Burnaby Estate, built c1890. The Burnaby is a conservation area, and one of Irelands first housing estates.Ardeen was design by the architect and engineer William Kaye Perry for Arthur W W Baker. Arthur was involved in the defence of Trinity College, Dublin in the 1916 rising. He was awarded The Sword of Honour by the Citizens of Dublin for of Dublin for his work in the Dublin University Officers Training Corps. He was a widely published writer in his field of Dentistry. After Arthur Baker the home of William Ralph Westropp Roberts, son of the chaplain to the Lord Lieut of Ireland. William became Vice Provost off Trinity College Dublin, and was a noted writer on the subject of mathematics.
6. The Gables, Whitshed Road
This detached house was the home of Frederick Batchelor, the architect of several houses in the Burnaby, such as Moorlands, he worked for practice of James Rawson Carroll, who in c1889 did a proposed arrangement of building lots for the Burnaby Estate. Frederick became President of the Royal Institute of Architects of Ireland between 1907 and 1910. He was also architect of Drommin House in Delgany. In 1915 James Campbell was living at The Gables, he became Lord Chancellor of Ireland and became the first Baron Glenavy. He hosted Arthur Balfour Law, later Prime minister of Great Britain, when he came to Ireland in his house in Greystones.
7. Moorlands, Whitshed Road
This imposing two storey detached gentleman’s house was designed by the British architect Frederick Batchelor for George Jacob, who was managing director of Jacob’s Biscuits in Dublin. Rented in summer periods by the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland,
8. Meadow Bank, Whitshed Road
This house was previously named Albany, later renamed Meadow Bank. It was the home of Maurice Goor who was the Plenipotentiary Minister for Belgium in Ireland. He came to Ireland as Belgium Consul General and stayed in Ireland after the outbreak of World war Two, He fundraised for Belgium relief after the First World War raising three and half million dollars.
9. Greystones Golf Club House / Killincarrig House
This five bay two storey former Georgian country house, although much altered, with no original interior or central chimney surviving, is locally believed to have been the original Killincarrig House. Though the 1837 OS map of the area suggests that Killincarrig House stood close to this house and was a larger house, which seems to have been demolished after the construction the later Killincarrig House which was built near to Charlesland Golf stands today. Killincarrig House was the country seat of the Hawkins Whitshed family. It was the country seat Sir James Hawkins Whitshed, the first Baronet. Sir James was an admiral in the British navy, he became naval adviser to the viceroy of Ireland where he was responsible for the organising of the building of the Martello Towers around Ireland.
10. Killincarrig Castle
Killincarrig House in Killincarrig village is a Elizabethan House and date back to the 17th Century. This house today is known as Killincarrig castle. The house was taken by a small Confederate Army outpost. In the Cromwellian Wars Colonel Hugh Byrne took control of Killincarrig Castle but was removed by the Cromwellian Army who garrison the castle, after its capture. It is reputed that Oliver Cromwell stayed a night at Killingcarrig house in 1649 on his way to Wexford from Drogheda. In the Down Survey Killincarrig Castle is described as the most remarkable building in this barony” In 1833 several silver coins from the reign of William the third were found in the grounds around Killincarrig Castle.
11. Castle Crest, Killincarrig
A large two storey detached Gentleman’s built in c1900. It was the home of noted author Peter Driscoll, who wrote numerous thrillers including The Wilby Conspiracy, which was later made into a film starring Sir Michael Caine.
12. Killincarrig Village
The name Killincarrig derives from the Irish Coilin Carraige meaning The Little Wood of the Rock. Killincarrig village is an older village than Greystones. In 1829 Killincarrig had a population of 227 people, with thirty five houses and 38 families. It contains The Cherry Orchard, which got its name from the Orchard of Cherries that were located behind the Cherry Orchard and The Carrig public house. These Cherries came to Killincarrig in 1588.
13. Killincarrig Mill
Killincarrig Mill is a late 18th century four storey, six bay building, with Mill House and originally with mill race. In 1837 Arthur Jones was the owner of the mill, which was recorded as an extensive flour mill. Later known as Courtney’s Mill after another occupier.
14. Rath, St. Vincent’s Road
A large two storey detached house in the domestic revival style, built c1900. This was the home of the solicitor John W Richards. His son William killed in action in the First World War in August 1915. The childhood home of John’s daughter, the leading Abbey actress and noted producer in RTE Shelah Richards. Shelah was married to the Irish playwright Denis Johnson and mother of novelist Jenifer Johnson.
15. Corrella, St Vincent’s Road
This large two storey detached house was built c1895, is one of the most important large houses in the Burnaby. Originally the home of the noted Surveyor Sir John Ball Greene, who work under Kingdom Brunel on the Great Western Railway in England, later Commissioner of Valuations on the General Valuation and Boundary Survey of Ireland (commonly known as the Griffith’s Valuations). Later the home of the British actor David Farrar, best known for playing Dr Dean in Michael Powell’s 1947 classic film Black Narcissus, alongside Deborah Kerr.