Map of Greystones
Below a brief history on the STREET NAMES OF GREYSTONES
Click on Road name to see location.
Eden Road :
Originally named Railway Place, as it follows parallel to the railway line, though changed c1915 to Eden Road. May have been named after Eden Cottage, located on Railway place and still named Eden Cottage today.
La Touche Road:
La Touche Road is named after the La Touche family, who were one of the main landlords in Greystones. Their lands in Greystones spread from Rathdown Upper to Greystones Railway station. The family were a banking family of Dublin who came to the area in c17 settling in Delgany. The La Touche family donated the land for several of the Churches in Greystones, notably St Patrick’s Church and the Holy Rosary Church. The family were responsible for the layout of many of the street and roads in Greystones. Located on La Touche Road is the Holy Rosary Church which has stained glass by Evie Hone.
Originally named Bellevue Avenue leading to Prospect Cottage a farm house. This house has since has since been demolished prior to the construction of Bellevue Park / Hillside housing estates. It was named after Bellevue the Delgany Estate of the La Touche family, who originally owned the lands of this area. Bellevue was a substantial two storey, nine bay country house.
This road originally leads to Hillside farm, which was owned by the Evans family. Subsequently Hillside farm was demolished. Notable buildings on Hillside road include Auburn Cottage, which was originally the Greystones Electric Lighting Company, which was set up at the turn of the 20th century to supply electricity to Greystones and the Surrounding areas.
Church lane was originally named Blacklion Road, prior to being named Church Lane. The road lead to St Brigid’s School. Notable buildings on Church Lane include Rathlahine, a late 19th century gentleman’s house, at the end of the 19th century the home of Lady Elizabeth Frances Cullinan. Widow of Sir Frederick Fitzjame Cullinan, who was principle clerk, Chief Secretary’s office in Dublin Castle. Blacklion appears that it gets its name from a coastal road from Bray to Wicklow built by Irish Chiefs prior to the Norman invasion which was called Bealach Laighean (Blacklion), which was afterwards was used by the Normans as a military road.
Church Road got its name from St Patrick’s Church of which is located along Church Road. This church was built in 1857 and was not consecrated until 1864. Church road was not in existence until about 1850 or maybe later. There are several principle families that were instrumental in the construction of much of the houses along Church Road, they are the Flynn family, the Ludlow family, the Doyle family and the Evans family. Notable buildings include Ellsemere the home of Averil Deverell, the first woman in Ireland to practice at the bar and Maurice Leahy a author and lecturer, who lived at South View now the Hungry Monk restaurant. In 1950 Brendan Behan, was arrested on church road for being drunk.
Trafalgar Road originally ran from the Harbour to the railway station. Possibly named after the victorious battle of Trafalgar which was fought in the Napoleon Wars. Trafalgar road contained three of Greystones main hotels, these included The Braemar, Lewis’s Hotel and the Grand Hotel (later named the La Touche Hotel), where Michael Collins stayed. Peadar Kearney the song writer worked in the Billiard Romm of the Grand Hotel.
Marine Road follows an older track which led from area around the Harbour, (which was the original settlement of Greystones), leading to several dwellings and ending at Rose cottage and outbuildings, which was a farm owned by the Evans family. Marine Road held some of Greystones finer gentleman’s houses. Some still survive. Notable residents included William Bennett Campion (First Sargeant at Law at the Irish Bar) and John David Digges La Touche (author of A Handbook of the Birds of Eastern China).
Cliff Road runs between Marine Road and Trafalgar Road. Like marine Road Cliff Road follows the route of an older road, that lead from the then small hamlet of Greystones, which had about 8 buildings which included the first school in Greystones. Along cliff road the old Flag Staff was located.
The houses on Sidmonton Road were built by John Doyle, who built many of the houses in the Greystones Harbour area. John was a Coal merchant and built the ship. Sidmonton in Bray appears to be named after the Sidmonton in Suffolk in England where the Kingsmill family of Bray came from. Sidmonton in Bray precedes Sidmonton Road in Greystones. Both John Doyle and his father married women from Bray, whether these Bray connections resulted in this Road being named Sidmonton is hard to prove.
Located between Trafalgar Road and Rathdown Road. Queen Victoria in 1897 celebrated her diamond Jubilee, this seems when this road was named.
Possibly named after the 1st Earl of Kimberley, John Wodehouse. Several locations around the world such as Kimberley Road in Hong Kong, the town Kimberley in Cape Colony among other place names, have been named after John Wodehouse. John Wodehouse was briefly Lord Lieutenant of Ireland in 1864. Dysart on Kimberley Road was supposed to be a secret hideout of Michael Collins and it was later the home of Michael Collins aunt Mrs O’Brien Twomig.
Rathdown Road gets its name from the old barony of Rathdown which was controlled from Rathdown Castle, which was located north of Greystones Harbour. The name derives from a pre Christian Rath built by Heremon one of the Kings of Ireland, which was located north of the harbour. The name Rathdown derives the Anglicisation of the Irish Rath an Duin which means “ring fort of the fort”.
Mill Road / Delgany Road
Named after the corn mill located off the Western end of Mill Road. The mill was built in the late 18th century and was part of the Hawkins Whitshed Estate. In the 19th century it was known as Jones Mill after the mills owner the Jone’s family which included Arthur Jones JP of Killincarrick House, who in 1837 was recorded as running an extensive flour mill in Killincarrig. Also later known as Courtney’s Mill. In 1877 Thomas Ainscow was recorded as a miller of Killincarrick Mills, Co Wicklow.
Whitshed Road took its name from William Whitshed, he was a who became solicitor General in 1709. He is the first of the Whitshed family to have an association with Greystones and Killincarrig, of which I could find. After he returned from England he became Chief Justice of the Kings Bench and later Chief Justice to the Commons Plea Court. William Whitshed was the son of Thomas Whitshed a barrister and MP for Carysfort, and his wife Mary who was the daughter of Mark Quin, an Alderman of Dublin. Notable residents of Whitshed Road included the 6th Lord Dunalley, the Opera singer Joseph Locke, Maurice Goor who was the Plenipotentiary Minister for Belgium and 1st Baron Glenavy, Lord Chancellor of Ireland.
Hawkins Lane was named after James Hawkins later Sir James Hawkins Whitshed GCB. James was the third son of Bishop Hawkins of Raphoe and his wife Catherine nee Keene. It was through Catherine that the estate of Killincarrig came into the Hawkins family, as Catherine was the niece of William Whitshed. Thus after the marriage of James and Catherine’s James took the additional name of Whitshed. It was James Hawkins Whitshed that organised the construction of Martello Towers and Signalling stations around Ireland. James received a medal for his conduct in the battle of St Vincent.
This Road gets its name from Frederick Gustavis Burnaby who married Elizabeth Hawkins Whitshed who inherited the Hawkins Whitshed estate in Greystones from her father Sir St Vincent Bentinck Hawkins Whitshed. Frederick was a noted soldier, writer and traveller. He wrote A Ride to Khiva: Travels and Adventures in Central Asia and On Horseback Through Asia Mino. He died in 1885 in the Battle of Abu Klea. His wife Elizabeth was a noted Alpine climber and photographer.
Sophia Henrietta Hawkins Whitshed nee Bentinck was the granddaughter of the First Earl of Portland, she was the wife of Sir James Hawkins Whitshed, the owner of lands around Killincarrig and Greystones. It was this marriage that led to the name Portland Road, as Portland Road in the Burnaby Estate was created when Elizabeth Burnaby nee Hawkins Whitshed was the owner of the lands of which the Burnaby Estate was created. Elizabeth Burnaby even wrote a book on one of the Bentinck family called Charlotte Sophie, Countess Bentinck: her life and times, 1715-1800.
Somerby Road was named after Somerby Hall, Leicestershire, in England. This was the home of Colonel Frederick G Burnaby. See Burnaby Road for further information. Notable residents included Sir Andrew Newton Brady, the noted architect Harry Allberry and the noted engineer Frank Fraser Haigh.
St Vincent Road
Sir James Hawkins Whitshed was an Admiral who received a medal for his conduct at the battle of the Cape of St Vincent. Sir James commanded the Namur at St Vincent. The Namur had 90 guns. Sir James son was named St Vincent Keene Hawkins Whitshed and also his grandson was named St Vincent. The cape of St Vincent is located in the Algarve in Southern Portugal. This is another road in the Burnaby that gets its name though the connection with the Hawkins Whitshed family. Notable residents include 17th Marquis of Winchester and Alfred Henry Wynne, who was a land agent for the Hawkins Whitshed estate and was responsible for the building of the Burnaby, one of the first housing estates in Ireland. Alfred’s daughter was Frances Wynn, who was a poet whose poem were published in The Spectator magazine. The British actor David Farrar lived at Corella on St Vincent Road. He was in Nichael Powells film Black Narcissus (1947).
Sir St Vincent Bentinck Hawkins Whitshed owner of Killincarrig House and grandfather of Elizabeth Hawkins Whitshed married Elizabeth the daughter of the 2nd Lord Erskine. He was Member of Parliament for Portsmouth in 1806. He was later British Minister to the United States, followed by British Minister to Wurttemberg. It was this above marriage between the Erskine family and the Hawkins Whitshed family, which led to a Road in Greystones having the name Erskine.
This road gets its name from Killincarrick or Killincarrig House the family seat of the Hawkins Whitshed. Killincarrick gets its name from the Irish Coilin Carraige meaning the the little wood of the Rock. The original Killincarrick house was located near the club house of Greystones Golf Club. It seems to have been demolished between 1840 and 1880. It was replaced by a later house which was located near Charlesland Golf club.
Quarry Road leads from Mill Road to Hawkins Lane, in the 1909 ordinance survey map quarry road contained four houses and lead onto a disused quarry. This quarry was later built over. Notably residents include Capt Geoffrey Orpen Palmer, author of Irish airs for the war pipes (1913).
Kinlen Road was named after Patrick J Kinlen, who was responsible for building many of the houses in The Burnaby. Kinlen was also the contractor of the Roundwood Reserviour in County Wicklow. Nobalbe residence include Eamon De Valera, who would become the Taoiseach of Ireland and later still Irelands President and Air Marshal John Joseph Breen.
Pavilion Road lead to Greystones Golf Pavilion. This was a timber structure in the colonial style. Subsequently demolished after a fire destroyed the building. Notable residents included John Good TD, whose contracting firm was responsible for the reconstruction of the Four Courts in the 1920’s and Major General Francis Malcolm Moore.
Get a feel of what Greystones village has to offer. There are many restaurants, eateries, take outs, cafes and pubs and bars. If your business is not listed here and you would like to add it to the list please get in touch.
Restaurants, Eateries Take-Aways, Cafes and Public Houses.